[Labs-l] Potential new public DNS/proxy naming policies

Tim Landscheidt tim at tim-landscheidt.de
Thu Mar 10 19:38:16 UTC 2016

Andrew Bogott <abogott at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> […]

> How is that different?

> a) there will no longer be any foo.wmflabs.org records, only
> foo.<project>.wmflabs.org records.
> b) Existing records using the foo.wmflabs.org scheme will
> have to be migrated to a project-specific domain, or remain
> in a weird in-between state where only admins can see and
> edit them.
> c) If there are any existing subdomains that are shared
> between projects, they'll need to be untangled.

> So, tell me:  How much will this change hurt you, and how
> much will it hurt your users?  Please be as detailed as
> possible so that I have what I need to come up with
> compromise solutions.

I just want to confirm: b) would allow tools.wmflabs.org
(and other existing names) to live forever, except that the
ability to change them would move from self-service at
wikitech to a Phabricator ticket or something similar?

Also, currently the "deployment-prep" project uses
*.beta.wmflabs.org names.  In the past, there was a
(declined) task (https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T74694)
to rename the project and its assets to "beta-cluster".  If
in the future the project name determines the domain name,
Release Engineering should positively acknowledge that they
are okay with that (cf. also
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T50501).

Tim