[Labs-l] Localizing Citation Hunt - best practices for translating tools?

Tim Landscheidt tim at tim-landscheidt.de
Mon Jan 25 20:34:18 UTC 2016

Guilherme Gonçalves <guilherme.p.gonc at gmail.com> wrote:

> […]

> Which brings me to my question: what are the best practices for making a
> tool available for localization, especially for non-technical translators?
> I found https://translatewiki.net/ through another tool, and, while it
> looks great, the low number of projects listed on that page led me to
> wonder whether I was missing another better-known solution.

I believe most tools use no localization at all or explicit
code for a few special cases (i. e., "switch ($lang) { case
'en': … case 'de': … }"), so I assume translatewiki.net is
indeed the best current practice in the Wikipedia ecosphere.

If you develop your tool in PHP, you should probably con-
sider using Intuition
(https://github.com/Krinkle/intuition).

Tim