[Labs-l] [Tools] [Discussion needed] Tool Labs standards committee for abandoned tools policies

Bryan Davis bd808 at wikimedia.org
Wed Dec 21 17:57:26 UTC 2016

On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 3:52 PM, Bryan Davis <bd808 at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> The RfC vote on meta on adopting the proposed "Right to fork policy"
> and "Abandoned tool policy" was closed on 2016-12-11 by MarcoAurelio.
> [0] The outcome of the vote was approval for both policies with a
> 93.54% and 82.60% approval respectively.
>
> The call for the vote included a promise by me to hold a separate
> discussion on the details of the committees called for by the two
> policies. Now that we know that we want to enact both policies, my
> suggestion is to merge the source code committee from the Right to
> fork policy and the abandoned tools committee from the Abandoned tool
> policy into a single committee.
>
> I have tentatively given this combined committee the name "Tool Labs
> standards committee" and posted a draft on wikitech describing at a
> very high level how the committee would acquire members and perform
> its duties. [1] Please read over the proposal there and make your
> suggestions for changes on the talk page. I would hope that we can
> come to consensus on this basic description by Friday 2016-12-23.
>
> I would also like to open a call for nominations of active Tool Labs
> members who would be willing to serve on the committee on the talk
> page. [2] Self nomination is acceptable. If you are nominated by
> someone else, please counter-sign the nomination to indicate you would
> accept the responsibility and be willing to sign the Volunteer NDA.
> [3]
>

> [0]: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Abandoned_Labs_tools
> [1]: https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Tool_Labs/Tool_Labs_standards_committee
> [2]: https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help_talk:Tool_Labs/Tool_Labs_standards_committee#December_2016_committee_nominations
> [3]: https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Volunteer_NDA

Last call for feedback on the Tool Labs standards committee proposal.
So far we have a whopping one support endorsement, and two
self-nominations for the committee.

Apparently I have become perfect in my ability to channel the
collective interests of all Tool Labs developers into draft proposals.
;) More seriously, this committee will affect all Tool Labs developers
and should be worth at least a read. Rather than rushing to close this
out (which I'd really like to do after working on this concept for
over six months now) I will leave the discussion open until early in
the new year. Barring new opposition discussion I will consider the
proposal approved by silent consensus on 2017-01-04.

Bryan
--
Bryan Davis              Wikimedia Foundation    <bd808 at wikimedia.org>
[[m:User:BDavis_(WMF)]]  Sr Software Engineer            Boise, ID USA