[Labs-l] [Tools] [Discussion needed] Tool Labs standards committee for abandoned tools policies

Bryan Davis bd808 at wikimedia.org
Wed Dec 14 22:52:06 UTC 2016

The RfC vote on meta on adopting the proposed "Right to fork policy"
and "Abandoned tool policy" was closed on 2016-12-11 by MarcoAurelio.
[0] The outcome of the vote was approval for both policies with a
93.54% and 82.60% approval respectively.

The call for the vote included a promise by me to hold a separate
discussion on the details of the committees called for by the two
policies. Now that we know that we want to enact both policies, my
suggestion is to merge the source code committee from the Right to
fork policy and the abandoned tools committee from the Abandoned tool
policy into a single committee.

I have tentatively given this combined committee the name "Tool Labs
standards committee" and posted a draft on wikitech describing at a
very high level how the committee would acquire members and perform
its duties. [1] Please read over the proposal there and make your
suggestions for changes on the talk page. I would hope that we can
come to consensus on this basic description by Friday 2016-12-23.

I would also like to open a call for nominations of active Tool Labs
members who would be willing to serve on the committee on the talk
page. [2] Self nomination is acceptable. If you are nominated by
someone else, please counter-sign the nomination to indicate you would
accept the responsibility and be willing to sign the Volunteer NDA.
[3]

[0]: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Abandoned_Labs_tools
[1]: https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Tool_Labs/Tool_Labs_standards_committee
[2]: https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help_talk:Tool_Labs/Tool_Labs_standards_committee#December_2016_committee_nominations
[3]: https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Volunteer_NDA

Bryan
--
Bryan Davis              Wikimedia Foundation    <bd808 at wikimedia.org>
[[m:User:BDavis_(WMF)]]  Sr Software Engineer            Boise, ID USA