[Labs-l] Building a collaborative Tools directory

Tim Landscheidt tim at tim-landscheidt.de
Fri Mar 6 11:30:31 UTC 2015

(anonymous) wrote:

> tools.wmflabs.org only covers tools hosted on Wikimedia
> Labs, while Hay's Directory also covers gadgets, self-hosted
> tools, etc.
> The latter also supports properties such as "title",
> "keywords", "author", "repository", and a nice search
> feature, while the former doesn't.

> [...]

Why should tools.wmflabs.org cover tools /not/ hosted on
Wikimedia Tools?

Also, and I think I've written it somewhere before, in my
experience I rarely use such tool lists (however you want to
define "tool").  I usually have a goal, and look for what
other users use(d) to achieve that goal.  This is the equiv-
alent to Google's PageRank: Popular tools that increase pro-
ductivity bubble up.

Tim