[Labs-l] Failure to support database dumps on labs

Bryan Davis bd808 at wikimedia.org
Mon Feb 16 01:25:15 UTC 2015

On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 10:11 PM, Dan Andreescu
<dandreescu at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> Ah, John, sorry.  That's a known problem with the dumps process.  It's been
> taking longer and longer and is harder and harder to manage because of the
> increased size.  We weren't even able to update our reportcard lately
> because the process is taking so long it doesn't leave Erik Z. the time to
> run his analysis.  I have started talking to people privately about
> revamping the dumps process.  We need it in Analytics for some very
> important work that Aaron Halfaker is doing on diff analysis and folks like
> you need it for your work.  From the start it's clear we need:
>
> * incremental dumps
> * fast access to them
> * reliable bandwidth or a cluster to explore on
>
> This is a million times easier said than done, but I'll keep making the case
> for it.

This epic in Phabricator <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T88728>
would be a great place to document desired use-cases and user stories
for the dumps process. If we can find enough interest to justify this
project it could make in on to the MediaWiki-Core team's priorities.
Even if we can't find a team to pick it up that soon, getting the
problem better defined will make it easier to pitch the project.

Bryan
--
Bryan Davis              Wikimedia Foundation    <bd808 at wikimedia.org>
[[m:User:BDavis_(WMF)]]  Sr Software Engineer            Boise, ID USA