[Labs-l] [Ops] Slowing down puppet runs?

Jeff Green jgreen at wikimedia.org
Fri Oct 31 17:19:07 UTC 2014

On Fri, 31 Oct 2014, Andrew Otto wrote:

>> Seems like it would be reasonable to reduce the apt update frequency to
>> once or twice per day, and maybe even to handle it by splayed cron job
>> instead of as a puppet exec.
>
> This could be annoying for those times when you are applying a new
> puppetization in production that installs a package that has been newly
> added or upgraded in our apt.  But I suppose those are edge cases that
> we could work around by running a manual apt-get update if/when we need
> to do that.

I hadn't thought of that--it's not really an issue in fundraising.

The change I would make to puppet would be to add "refreshonly => true" to
the apt-update exec, and then make sure apt config changes notify that
exec so it runs just like it does now after an apt config change.

Then I would have puppet add a cron job using "minute => fqdn_rand(60)" to
spread the updates over an hour. Timing could be overridden with a class a
parameter.

It should be feasible to force a one-time sitewide run through puppet too.
I can think of a couple ways of doing so off the top of my head, but
they're too awful to put into words. It would be slick to make
puppetmaster poll our repos and do it automatically when the metadata
changes.

jg