[Labs-l] [Ops] Slowing down puppet runs?

Andrew Bogott abogott at wikimedia.org
Fri Oct 31 17:04:38 UTC 2014

On 10/31/14 11:54 AM, Andrew Otto wrote:
>> Seems like it would be reasonable to reduce the apt update frequency to once or twice per day, and maybe even to handle it by splayed cron job instead of as a puppet exec.
> This could be annoying for those times when you are applying a new puppetization in production that installs a package that has been newly added or upgraded in our apt.  But I suppose those are edge cases that we could work around by running a manual apt-get update if/when we need to do that.

There are cases where a single puppet run adds a new apt repo, does an
apt-get update, and then installs a package; if the update is skipped in
between then the wrong package can be installed (which then persists
through subsequent runs).  So any change to the 'apt-get update' logic
would have to be approached very cautiously.

But, in any case, I don't think this is a problem in need of a
solution.  'apt-get update' is slow, but I can't think of any reason why
it would be resource-intensive.  The thing that's expensive is compiling
puppet catalogs on the puppetmaster -- delays in the client run
shouldn't really make a difference to anyone who isn't actively
debugging puppet and running things over and over by hand.

-A