[Labs-l] IPv6 on labs

Jeremy Baron jeremy at tuxmachine.com
Tue Jun 3 18:15:14 UTC 2014

On Jun 3, 2014 1:52 PM, "Petr Bena" <benapetr at gmail.com> wrote:
> therefore I am trying to point out that IPv6 is not really a
> mainstream everywhere in the world, that's a whole point

So you're commenting just to (incorrectly) correct a statement which
doesn't negate the need for the feature being requested?

(incorrectly because the original post said "in some parts of the world"
and you've not made a case that that is false. you just presented a single
geographic area where it's supposedly not main stream. that doesn't mean
there aren't places where it is main stream. or at least "starting to
become")

In any case, there is consensus that labs should support IPv6. Not only
because users of labs services may be in areas that have run out of IPv4
but also because the main cluster is dual stack and supports editing via
IPv6 (both logged in and anon). We can't properly test, stage nor debug
issues if we can't test both via IPv4 and also IPv6. (checkuser, anon edits
and all the pages related to anons or displaying usernames)

https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/35947 is the bug, if you're interested in
IPv6 then you should subscribe to it.

Can we now leave this thread for people that know the status to comment?
you can refrain from further pointless comments about penetration. (i.e.
mainstream or not)

-Jeremy