[Labs-l] displaying puppet status for each host

Andrew Bogott abogott at wikimedia.org
Fri Jan 31 03:03:12 UTC 2014

On 1/31/14 3:58 AM, Tim Landscheidt wrote:
> Antoine Musso <hashar+wmf at free.fr> wrote:
>
>>> I assume Ryan meant
>>> https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:NovaInstance
>>> which has a column "Puppet status" ("ok"/"failed"/"stale").
>> That is nice!
>> Would it be possible to get notifications / emails whenever the status
>> of puppet change on an instance?  Or maybe a daily report would be enough.
> I believe Puppet status was monitored by
> http://icinga.wmflabs.org/ along with basic stuff like disk
> usage & Co., but it has been unavailable for some time now.
<snip>

Sorry I'm late to this conversation.  Indeed we use icinga on production
to monitor puppet failures, and this used to work on labs.  The
implementation of this seems generally unpopular, so when I added the
'puppet status' filed to wikitech I routed around icinga and used a
puppet reporting mechanism that integrates with OpenStack.  There are a
few incremental changes, but the basic framework is in
https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/100221/.  The report and callback
system is quite simple!  So, Petr, if you want a custom/limited solution
you might look into just writing a custom reporter.

Regarding notifications or reporting... there are a few ways we could
approach this.  Probably the best thing is to revive icinga reporting,
possibly be extending labsstatus.rb.  For now, though, I'd advise you to
just have a look at wikitech if you're curious.

-Andrew