[Labs-l] Custom nagios checks

Ryan Lane rlane32 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 4 09:01:12 UTC 2014

On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 12:49 AM, Petr Bena <benapetr at gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, so imagine there is a configuration file that is managed by
> puppet, you figure out there is something wrong which must be changed
> otherwise it imposes a security risk. You can't change it because
> puppet keeps reverting it back and there is no one awake in ops team
> to merge the patch.
>
> What other option do you have other than turning puppet off on that
> instance?
>
> I am talking about some service or software that YOU might wrote or
> set up and nobody else understand, so there is no point in having any
> review from 3rd party. (for example clue-bot)

https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Self-hosted_puppetmaster

Make your change locally, push it in, and wait for review. It's pretty easy.

Even if this might be technically possible, to work like this, I doubt
> that anyone would prefer this way of working on labs, unless they had
> to. That is why I think that if puppet was the only option to maintain
> custom nagios checks, most of people would just not use nagios to
> check if their own services are working...

I have no strong feeling as to how nagios is handled. All I wanted to
mention is that it can't be handled like production.

- Ryan