[Labs-l] Discussion needed: Technically feasible, legally okay... but want tools do we want?

Merlijn van Deen valhallasw at arctus.nl
Tue Oct 1 16:03:00 UTC 2013

On 1 October 2013 17:30, Ryan Lane <rlane at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Editing history is completely public and needs to be to fulfill our
> license.

I may be mistaken, but as far as I know the only thing required by the
CC-BY-SA is a list of authors, not what they changed nor when. It's a
*choice* to make the full edit history, including full time information,
available.

For example, the deep user inspector's punchcard could be prevented by
simply hiding or rounding the time of an edit (although it might also be
necessary to rewrite revision id's, for example).

It's really not a technical or legal obstacle - it's a question of WMF
policy: is allowing useful non-invasive statistics important enough to
allow for a potential invasion of privacy?

Merlijn