[Labs-l] Question: json license not free enough?

Luis Villa lvilla at wikimedia.org
Tue May 28 21:37:53 UTC 2013

[Background: the json license is neither OSI-open nor FSF-free, and never
will be. So we would discourage using it on tool labs. Response to Silke
inline.]

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 7:05 AM, Silke Meyer <silke.meyer at wikimedia.de>wrote:

> Hm. At the same time this means we have to have licenses that are
> free-free-free and Terms of Use of Wikimedia Labs that state what is
> forbidden/"evil" (no cracking, no illegal content). I understand legal
> experts may a problem with that license but to me this still seems
> funny.

Free and open source licenses give freedom to the user of the software. The
user of the software can then use that freedom however they want -
including, of course, limiting their own use. So there is no contradiction
here.

With regards to this specific license, and the widely-known story about IBM
negotiating an exception: Negotiating exceptions to bad licenses is a bad
idea, because it encourages people to use bad licenses - it means we pay
the penalty for their bad choice, instead of them. We also have limited
resources, and it is generally a better use of those resources to encourage
the authors to switch to OSI-approved licenses, so that everyone, not just
Wikimedia, can benefit and participate.

Hope that helps clarify-
Luis

> Cheers, Silke
>

> 2013/5/28 Johannes Kroll <johannes.kroll at wikimedia.de>:
> > On Tue, 28 May 2013 11:03:18 +0200
> > Jérémie Roquet <arkanosis at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,

> at

> >> It's a non-free license anyway… which has already proven to be
> >> problematic for some users such as IBM and Google, see
> >> http://dev.hasenj.org/post/3272592502/ibm-and-its-minions or
> >> http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-10422338-264.html .
> >
> > I think we should be serious about getting one of those "use for evil"
> > permissions.
> >
> > And printing it on T-Shirts! :D
> >
> > But seriously, with an unenforceable statement like that, the
> > whole license may be invalid... IANAL, of course... And it does make
> > the license non-free by OSI definition, I think... It is similar to
> > exclusive statements like "This software may not be used by the
> > military" which also makes a license non-free...
> >
> > --
> > Johannes Kroll
> > Softwareentwickler
> >
> > Wikimedia Deutschland e.V. | NEU: Obentrautstr. 72 | 10963 Berlin
> > Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0
> >
> > http://wikimedia.de
> >
> > Wikimedia Deutschland - Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e.V.
> > Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts Berlin-Charlottenburg
> > unter der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das
> > Finanzamt für Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/681/51985.

> --
> Silke Meyer
> Internes IT-Management und Projektmanagement Toolserver
>
> Wikimedia Deutschland e.V. | Obentrautstr. 72 | 10963 Berlin
> Tel. (030) 219 158 260
>
> http://wikimedia.de

> Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts Berlin-Charlottenburg
> unter der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das
> Finanzamt für Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/681/51985.

Luis Villa
Deputy General Counsel
Wikimedia Foundation
415.839.6885 ext. 6810

NOTICE: *This message may be confidential or legally privileged. If you
have received it by accident, please delete it and let us know about the
mistake. As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for legal/ethical
reasons I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for, community
members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity.*