[Labs-l] Labs MediaWiki Logo mandate?

Andrew Bogott abogott at wikimedia.org
Thu May 2 15:35:27 UTC 2013

On 5/2/13 10:20 AM, Stephen E Slevinski Jr wrote:
> Hi list and Andrew Bogott,
>
> I'm administering a MediaWiki install on Labs.
> http://ase.wikipedia.wmflabs.org
>
> 2 days ago, the logo changed on the site.  A new logo is set for all
> MediaWiki installs on Labs.  Here are the details.
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/wiki/mediawiki-cvs/354166?do=post_view_threaded
>
> The logo is set after the site specific LocalSettings.php file has
> been loaded, so it is impossible to customize.
> require_once( 'orig/LocalSettings.php' );
>     $wgLogo = "$wgStylePath/common/images/labs_mediawiki_logo.png";
>
> Is there a new policy that all MediaWiki installs on Labs must use the
> approved logo?  The logo is important for branding, and while I
> appreciate Wikimedia Labs, the generic logo does not feel right for
> the the ASL Wikipedia Project.
Steve --

     Sorry for the breakage!  I added that code in a response to a
request from Legal, in order to ensure that labs instances don't use
trademarked WMF logos.  However, it is totally fine for your site to use
a different logo, presuming it is not a trademarked one.
     You can easily override my logo setting by dropping your own line
$wgLogo = "/path/to/my/special/logo.png" in the mediawiki config
someplace after the automatically inserted line.  Anywhere in
orig/LocalSettings.php should do it, and it will be safe from subsequent
puppet meddling.

     Look for me on IRC if you need more explanation or want me to make
the change for you.

-Andrew