[Labs-l] Labs MediaWiki Logo mandate?

Stephen E Slevinski Jr slevin at signpuddle.net
Thu May 2 15:20:41 UTC 2013

Hi list and Andrew Bogott,

I'm administering a MediaWiki install on Labs.
http://ase.wikipedia.wmflabs.org

2 days ago, the logo changed on the site.  A new logo is set for all
MediaWiki installs on Labs.  Here are the details.
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/wiki/mediawiki-cvs/354166?do=post_view_threaded

The logo is set after the site specific LocalSettings.php file has been
loaded, so it is impossible to customize.
require_once( 'orig/LocalSettings.php' );
     $wgLogo = "$wgStylePath/common/images/labs_mediawiki_logo.png";

Is there a new policy that all MediaWiki installs on Labs must use the
approved logo?  The logo is important for branding, and while I
appreciate Wikimedia Labs, the generic logo does not feel right for the
the ASL Wikipedia Project.

The comments for the update is simply: " Because, more unicorns!"  The
topic is "terms of use".

Regards,
-Steve