[Labs-l] Slow steps ahead to merge bots and tools

Petr Bena benapetr at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 13:37:43 UTC 2013

Hi,

as a first step to merge bots and tools I decided to make current bots
project more like tools, so that if you would be capable of running
bots there after these changes, you will have minimal troubles moving
them to tools project in future.

First of these steps is to enforce necessary security changes, I
removed all-root on bots-N and these instances should be deleted as
soon as people who are running bots there are ready to move them
either to grid on bots (which IMHO is more stable, but that's just my
opinion - there are several things which I disagree with Coren) or to
tool labs. If you are using mysql db I recommend you to stay on bots,
because the DB on tools project is temporary and will be converted to
another server (or should be) - so until that is done, the mysql
server on bots is better optimized than the one on tools anyway (from
what I have seen).

I don't really want to merge both projects any time soon, given that I
am still very skeptic regarding tools project and its current
philosophy (that may change), but once tools project is ready to host
bots in a stable cluster and volunteers will have options to become
sysadmins there I will have nothing against it.

Before you start moving any bots there, keep in mind that you can't
expect any kind of support from people who currently run bots project,
as we have no access to tools project. So you will be limited to get
all support from Coren. (I can eventually give you some advices or
tips how to fix stuff, but that's all).

BTW @Coren - why do we even need to move current bots project content
to another project - wouldn't it be easier for bots operator just to
modify the current project to what you proposed, so that they don't
need to care about anything? We partially achieved that anyway.