[Labs-l] Can't upload SSH key

Platonides platonides at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 15:32:24 UTC 2013

On 04/01/13 16:23, Russell Blau wrote:
> Hello.  I've got a Labs account (User:Russell Blau), and requested
> and was given shell access.  Today I'm trying to upload my SSH
> publickey to [[Special:NovaKey]], but every time I try I get the
> error message "Failed to import keypair."  I'm pretty sure that the
> publickey I'm using is valid, since I was able to add it to my
> account on Gerrit without any problems.  (To be specific, it's an RSA
> 2048 bit key, generated using puttygen, and I copied and pasted the
> entire content of the Public Key text provided by puttygen into the
> textbox on [[Special:NovaKey]].)
>
> Any idea what is going wrong here?

Are you using the openssh export of your key?
I.e. that beginning with ssh-rsa AAAAB3N... not -----BEGIN RSA ...
(I think that if you send the former it is automatically converted, but
better to make it simpler)

> Also, while I'm here, since I have a space in my user name, should I
> be logging in as "Russell Blau", "Russell_Blau", or "Russell\ Blau"?

For ssh you should use your shell username, which will be different than
your “normal” username.