[Labs-l] Ability of Labs to be the new WMDE Toolserver by 2014

Jason Spriggs jason at jasonspriggs.com
Fri Sep 28 11:47:30 UTC 2012

Given that it seems a large majority of toolserver tools just use a basic
HTTPd, would it make sense to just have a project that just has LAMP server
for tool hosting and then a separate server for duplication?

This sure would help with the issue of IPv4 address and all could have a
tool.wmflabs.org/~USER address.

~Jason

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 11:19 AM, Ryan Lane <rlane at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> > If IPv4 address space is the issue, would it be possible to get a public
> > IPv6 address by default for every instance?
> >

> That's the plan. We'll be adding IPv6 support fairly soon, and every
> instance will have a public IPv6 address by default.
>
> > Given the unfortunate lack of IPv6 availability on most ISPs that
> obviously
> > won't cover everyone, but it might make it easier for some. Particularly
> > when you start a new project and haven't yet requested a public IPv4
> > address.
> >

> Yeah, that's unfortunately the problem. For services that really need
> to be public, it's still necessary to depend on IPv4.
>
> - Ryan

*Thank you for contacting Jason Spriggs.
*