[Labs-l] Licensing: CC vs. ODbL vs. ???

aude aude.wiki at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 07:13:15 UTC 2012

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 6:32 AM, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 9:11 PM, aude <aude.wiki at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I have also never been able to get a clear answer from Mike Godwin or
> Geoff.
> > I think it would be super useful to have a Wikilegal page about this to
> help
> > clarify any doubts and be able to point people to it:
> >
> > http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikilegal
>
> I agree that the specifics of compliant OpenStreetMap re-use under the
> new licensing regime ought to be considered for the Wikilegal backlog.
> I'm not sure what their capacity is right now, but I know that legal
> in general is at 150% right now so it may not be possible for us to
> dig into it anytime soon.

Please do and sooner than later, would be nice. :)

We (me and Ævar) asked Mike quite some time ago and brought the question to
Geoff and I think mentioned it to other legal team folks.  While I haven't
been super persistent about this, I think the question about OSM and
generally about database rights will come up time and again.

It's important for many of our maps and data-related projects, and worth
the time to get more clarification about this.

I am sure enough the license is compatible to proceed with my maps stuff
but not 100% sure of all the details on remixing and doing various things
and what requirements come with that in terms of attribution and sharing
data and get confused sometimes. :(

Cheers,
Katie

--
> Erik Möller
> VP of Engineering and Product Development, Wikimedia Foundation
>
> Support Free Knowledge: https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate

Board member, Wikimedia District of Columbia
http://wikimediadc.org
@wikimediadc / @wikimania2012