[Labs-l] Licensing: CC vs. ODbL vs. ???

aude aude.wiki at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 07:02:22 UTC 2012

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 6:28 AM, Peter Wendorff
<wendorff at uni-paderborn.de>wrote:

>  Am 28.09.2012 05:57, schrieb aude:
>
> On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 10:20 PM, Tomasz Finc <tfinc at wikimedia.org> wrote:
>
>> The mobile team needs to know how to proceed as well. We use OSM tiles
>> for our near by view within the Wikipedia app.
>>

>  They haven't updated their rendering yet to use OBDL data.  It still
> needs to say CC-BY-SA for now.
>
> Well... partly:
> The main osm rendering now works on ODBL data, so every tile that's
> rendering now is rendered from ODBL data.
> Nevertheless the rendered TILES themself stay CC-BY-SA as these are
> produced works, which is allowed under ODBL, but the data is now ODBL.

I am referring to the mapquest open tiles (used by the mobile app) which
still use an older CC-BY-SA copy of the data.

Yes, the tiles from the toolserver use ODBL data.

Cheers,
Katie

> For the Toolserver Rendering chain Kai said he initialized a fresh
> reimport with ODBL-Data to a new database and wanted to switch around now
> somewhen, so that up to more or less now here ODBL-Data is used too.
>
> But even if you were right and "it still (were) CC-BY-SA for now" we're
> talking about Toolserver being cut of in the next one to two years at
> longest, and somewhen in that timespa WILL be the point where OSM data is
> ODBL only.
>
> regards
> Peter

Board member, Wikimedia District of Columbia
http://wikimediadc.org
@wikimediadc / @wikimania2012