[Labs-l] New project request

Liangent liangent at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 05:02:53 UTC 2012

(cross posting to wikitech-l)

On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 2:26 AM, Ryan Lane <rlane32 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've created a project called category-sorting for you.
>
> On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 10:41 AM, Liangent <liangent at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> The zhwiki community started a discussion about category sorting
>> again[1], which was what Extension:CategoryMultisort[2] designed for.
>> However in MW 1.17+ it should be re-written to make use of the new
>> Collation component. I plan to do it later (maybe after Git migration,
>> as a new extension because it need to be written completely in another
>> way) and I want to use Labs so the community can see the current
>> developing progress. Can someone create a project for me?
>>
>> [1] https://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:%E4%BA%92%E5%8A%A9%E5%AE%A2%E6%A0%88/%E5%85%B6%E4%BB%96#.E5.88.86.E7.B1.BB.E7.9A.84.E4.BA.BA.E5.B7.A5.E6.8E.92.E5.BA.8F.E5.AD.97
>> [2] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:CategoryMultisort

What do you think is a better approach to implement this? In 1.16
version I had to create another DB table but in modern MediaWiki,
categories have better sorting support so another choice (which seems
more natural) is to patch MediaWiki and change $wgCategoryCollation to
an array to support multiple collation at the same time. Maybe another
choice is to reuse the existing categorylinks table in an extension
but this requires MediaWiki to have enough hooks.