[Labs-l] Please don't store data in your home directory

Ryan Lane rlane at wikimedia.org
Sat Jan 21 23:31:51 UTC 2012

Until we have the glusterfs cluster storage available for home
directories, the amount of storage we have for home directories is
tiny. All of the projects share the same storage for the home
directory right now as well, so if you eat all of the home directory
space, you fill all the home directories.

Please be careful when nohup'ing processes too, as it will write logs
into the nohup.out file. One nohup.log file in the bots project was
12GB today.

All instances, excluding m1.tiny instances, have some amount of
storage in /mnt. You should use those for storage, or set up NFS
shared storage for your project. When we get the gluster storage in,
I'll set up per-project storage, and this will become less of a
problem. Yay for betas! ;)

- Ryan