[Labs-l] New-user experience on Wikimedia Labs

Ryan Lane rlane at wikimedia.org
Sat Dec 29 22:13:11 UTC 2012

On Sat, Dec 29, 2012 at 10:15 AM, Fran McCrory <fran at dumetella.net> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 29, 2012 at 3:04 AM, Ryan Lane <rlane32 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Did you previously have SVN access? The process isn't as straightforward
> for users who previously had SVN access, since accounts must be linked;
> self-registration doesn't work for those users.
>
> My Labs account was created for me back during the hackathon at
> Wikimania D.C.; it wasn't self-registered. I was able to successfully
> commit code to Gerrit and perform code reviews with my account.

So, you were added via the old process, and then in the last couple weeks
hit the account rename bug.

>  > When you were given shell you were automatically added to the bastion
> project. That part worked properly. What didn't work for you?
>
> Getting added to bastion definitely required a separate step for me.
> My shell account request was processed on 2012-12-23 at 22:33, but I
> wasn't on the bastion project (I checked the project page and wasn't
> on it), and had to find someone on IRC that could manually add me; I
> wasn't added to bastion until 2012-12-26 around 17:50.

You were added before <https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/25700/> was
implemented. Now when a user is given shell they are automatically added to
the bastion. We should likely run a maintenance script to add everyone in
the shell group to the bastion project (added bug 43508), so that others
users in your situation don't run into this problem.

- Ryan