[Labs-l] IRC logs are gone

Jeremy Baron jeremy at tuxmachine.com
Sat Dec 15 00:38:24 UTC 2012

On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 7:12 PM, Jeremy Baron <jeremy at tuxmachine.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 6:55 PM, Petr Bena <benapetr at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi, I don't know what happened, but someone removed recursively all data in
>> ~wm-bot/logs
>
> Wasn't that accident already announced?

erm, whooops. seems I misinterpreted
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/labs-l/2012-December/000553.html
and that prior deletion was narrower than you've just noticed?

>> I may have a backup but because this removal was done yesterday or earlier
>> and apparently happens every day, it's a problem, because even the complete
>> logs archive is almost empty now.
>
> Every day?? elaborate?

Well, I'm still not too clear on this point but if this really is
happening repeatedly (cron'd??) then we need to track down what's
doing it. We can't be needing to manually restore backups multiple
times per week. (and we'd probably have incremental data loss between
last backup and deletion too)

-Jeremy