[Labs-announce] Ubuntu Precise instances will be shut down at the end of this month (Done, and thank you!)

Andrew Bogott abogott at wikimedia.org
Fri Mar 31 14:48:06 UTC 2017

I just deleted the last Precise instances that were remaining in Labs,
and we've closed https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T143349 and related
subtasks.

I'm very impressed at how responsive and cooperative you, the users,
were with this awkward process.  We were able to locate responsible
people for every single affected project, and folks were especially
gracious and helpful with the upgrades and migrations.  Thank you!

Keep in mind that the same process is likely to happen again with Trusty
in 2019.  So if you're building new systems today, best to start with
Jessie (which is slated to last until at least 2020) and postpone the
headache.

Nice work, everyone!

-Andrew + all of the Labs team