[Labs-announce] Official Debian Stretch image now available

Andrew Bogott abogott at wikimedia.org
Tue Jun 20 15:59:18 UTC 2017

     Debian Stretch was officially released on Saturday[1], and I've
built a new Stretch base image for VPS use in the WMF cloud. All
projects should now see an image type of 'debian-9.0-stretch' available
when creating new instances.

     Puppet will set up new Stretch instances just fine, and we've
tested and tuned up several of the most frequently-used optional puppet
classes so that they apply properly on Stretch.  Stretch is /fairly/
similar to Jessie, so I'd expect most puppet classes that apply properly
on Jessie to work on Stretch as well, but I'm always interested in the
exceptions -- If you find one, please open a phabricator ticket.

     The WMF and the Cloud team is committed to long-term support of
this distribution.  If you are starting a new project or rebuilding a VM
you should start with Stretch to ensure the longest possible life for
your work.

     Enjoy!

-Andrew

[1] https://www.debian.org/News/2017/20170617.en.html