[Labs-announce] IMPORTANT: Security reboots everywhere tomorrow

Andrew Bogott abogott at wikimedia.org
Tue Jun 20 16:38:17 UTC 2017

Good morning!

In order to plug a newly-revealed security hole, we need to upgrade
kernels everywhere and reboot everything.  I'll be doing this for all
instances and VM hosts tomorrow, 2017-06-21, beginning at 14:00UTC (aka
7AM in San Francisco).

Project admins should expect instances to be shut down for 10-15 minutes
and then restarted at some point tomorrow.  I don't expect the process
to take absolutely all day, but it might.  If you have an instance that
is a special case and you need it to be restarted during a more specific
window, please respond to me directly with details about what you need
and we'll try to make it happen.

These reboots should have minimal impact on things running in Tools,
although it's always good to keep an eye out -- some tools are unable to
recover from a shift between nodes and need a manual restart.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

-Andrew