[Labs-announce] Wikitech maintenance and CI downtime tomorrow, 2015-02-12 16:00 UTC

Andrew Bogott abogott at wikimedia.org
Thu Feb 11 15:54:13 UTC 2016

Executive summary:

     CI tests won't run for a while tomorrow.  Also you won't be able to
log into Wikitech.  This will begin at 16:00 UTC (8:00 AM in California)
and may take a couple of hours.

Full story:

     As part of a long-overdue tech-debt payment[0], I'll be migrating
all of the Labs project, membership and role data from ldap into
mysql[1].  Keystone (the Labs Openstack authentication layer) will be
shut off briefly, and subsequently will have incomplete data while
things are gradually copied over from Ldap.
     At the same time, Alex will be rolling out a bunch of
OpenStackManager patches[2] to cope with the new reality.  I've tested
these quite a lot, but no doubt there will be unexpected issues with
such a big refactor.

     Existing, running labs and tools sessions should not be affected.
New instance creation will be disabled for part of the window, which
will prevent CI from starting new tests.  Wikitech login will be
disabled, and users will have to login afresh after logins are restored.

     There is, unfortunately, no user-facing improvement associated with
this update.  If all goes perfectly, Wikitech will be restored to its
original state but be slightly slower.  If, after the update, anyone
encounters new Wikitech issues (and I emphasize the NEW), please open a
phab ticket and inform me immediately.

     As always, in the worst case scenario you can refer to our doc site
of last resort, https://wikitech-static.wikimedia.org

-Andrew

[1] https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Labs_keystone_roles
[2] The patchset begins with https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/252615/