[Labs-announce] [notice] Tools NFS space conservation

Chase Pettet cpettet at wikimedia.org
Tue Feb 9 19:17:28 UTC 2016

Greetings,

We have 8T allocated to the Tools project and are now getting space
warnings.  A log/temp/cache cleanup was coming regardless for capacity
planning purposes but this has moved it up the priority list.  We will try
to truncate in use logs, and generally be reasonable about cleanup.

A few thoughts:

* Primary copies of scripts and bots should be elsewhere.  Keep these in
some source control mechanism.
* Please try to be mindful of logs and space usage over time. It is not
difficult to find >10G log files at the moment.
* Be aware that access, error, and log files are excluded from backups
* This situation is partly holistic and hopefully we can transition to a
central logging mechanism that is better for all.

As always, we are around to discuss in #wikimedia-labs on irc

Thanks,

Chase Pettet
Operations Engineer