[Labs-admin] Replacing instance pages on Wikitech with a tool using the keystone/nova api

Andrew Bogott abogott at wikimedia.org
Mon Mar 27 14:18:17 UTC 2017

On 3/25/17 8:12 PM, Bryan Davis wrote:
> I wanted to learn a bit about the keystone rest api, so I started
> building a tool that would display things from it. One thing led to
> another and I ended up building something that lists all projects in
> our cluster and lets you see details on instances. Take a look at
> <https://tools.wmflabs.org/keystone-browser/>.
I think replacing the wikitech pages with this tool is totally fine, as
long as

* The new tool needs to cache like crazy, otherwise it's a ready-made
keystone DOS.  (Maybe it does this already).
* The tool is easy to discover (possibly via a sidebar link in wikitech,
for the short term).
* We still have an established system for users to write documentation
for their projects (maybe by preserving the existing namespace for that)
** The new tool should embed a link to ^

Thanks for making this!  The callback-based page updates are something
I've spent a lot of time on and, hence, I have some attachment and
reluctance to kill them -- but, honestly, the OpenStack upstream have
been unknowingly hostile to that callback system and I have to rewrite
things with basically every release, so it will save me a bunch of time
to not maintain them.

-A