[Labs-admin] Replacing instance pages on Wikitech with a tool using the keystone/nova api

Bryan Davis bd808 at wikimedia.org
Sun Mar 26 01:12:00 UTC 2017

I wanted to learn a bit about the keystone rest api, so I started
building a tool that would display things from it. One thing led to
another and I ended up building something that lists all projects in
our cluster and lets you see details on instances. Take a look at
<https://tools.wmflabs.org/keystone-browser/>.

The success I've had made me think of
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T53642> and the quest to kill off
SMW. I think having project pages on wiki is a good thing, but this
tool could be used as a substitute for the SMW generated admin,
members, and instances lists in Template:Nova Project. That would also
let us stop creating, updating, and deleting the instance pages. The
instance view I've been able to create is not a 1-to-1 replacement for
the data that can be found in the current Nova_Resource:$FQDN pages,
but its not missing too much. Applied security groups and the physical
host running the VM are probably the most useful missing bits of data.

Thoughts?

Bryan
--
Bryan Davis              Wikimedia Foundation    <bd808 at wikimedia.org>
[[m:User:BDavis_(WMF)]]  Sr Software Engineer            Boise, ID USA