[Gendergap] Gender neutrality template

Pete Forsyth peteforsyth at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 15:39:16 UTC 2011

Andreas, my preference would be to stick with the NPOV banner we have (which is pretty sufficient for all manner of non-neutrality issues), and instead encourage people who use it to actually open a discussion on the talk page when applying the template.

It is all too common that someone will slap the banner on the top of an article, and move on without even mentioning what the problem is. Sometimes the banner remains for months or years without any discussion. I don't think that is particularly helpful; I would love to see people concerned with gender issues (along with many other issues) simply work on asserting their concerns in a clear and productive manner on the discussion page.

Also, this might make a great discussion on-wiki discussion topic, for instance at: http://enwp.org/WT:FEMINISM

-Pete

On Sep 30, 2011, at 8:30 AM, Andreas Kolbe wrote:

> What do you think about creating a {{gendergap}} or {{GNPOV}} (gender-neutral point of view) template in en:WP? This could have a format similar to
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:NPOV
>
> and could use an image like
>
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Igualtat_de_sexes.svg
>
> The text could say something like:
>
> "The gender neutrality of this article is disputed. Please see the discussion on the talk page. Please do not remove this message until the dispute is resolved."
>
> Note that templates of this sort come with associated categories such as
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:NPOV_disputes_from_September_2011
>
> These categories can help identify articles with active disputes.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Do we already have a template like that that I am unaware of?
>
> Best,
> Andreas

Pete Forsyth
peteforsyth at gmail.com