[Gendergap] Delusions of Gender (or not)

Gillian White whiteghost.ink at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 02:13:39 UTC 2011

I have been editing [[Cordelia Fine]] because her book *Delusions of
Gender*is up for many awards. In case anyone is interested in the
nature/nurture
debate, Fine's book takes the nurture line (that is, men's and women's
brains are different). She is obviously a talented, intelligent and
successful author/academic but I note that the debate is undiminished even
after the long time that I have been watching it. In the interests of
balance, I also added a reference on the Fine article to a critique of the
nurture view. The author of the critique is another talented, intelligent
and successful author/academic who argues that the reason feminists like the
behaviourist view is that "anything else makes femaleness a disadvantage,
out in the world beyond domesticity. The minute you allow difference - say,
''males are more driven'' - you make non-maleness second-rate".

I'm pointing out this book, article and debate on this list in case anyone
is interested in the arguments and current publications about it. As I said,
the debate goes on and so does the research ...

Gillian
[[User:Whiteghost.ink]]