[Gendergap] Kelly Wearstler

Sarah Stierch sarah.stierch at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 14:14:55 UTC 2011

An article was brought to my attention about an interior designer, Kelly
Wearstler, who is also a fashion designer. The interesting twist - she was
Playboy of the Month in September 1994.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelly_Wearstler

One user is arguing that she's more famous as a one time Playboy centerfold
(which she did under a pseudonym to pay her student loans), and not so much
as a designer. I argue that (hell, just compare the Google statistics - over
200,000 for "Kelly Wearstler" designer  and about 27,500 for "Kelly
Wearstler" Playboy. I know who she is, and it isn't because she is a Playboy
model (and I'm not an uninformed person, I've "read" my fair share of
Playboys). Anyway, they want to have a special "centerfold" infobox (or
something of that sort) that tell her breast size, etc. Another user is
arguing it goes against [[WP:Undue]] not balancing the article correctly.  I
agree. No point in having a fashion designer and interior designers one time
Playboy bunny moment overweigh the fact that she's got best selling books,
has been a judge on a reality show on Bravo called "Top Design" and she
sells her designs at Bergdorf Goodman.

Check out the talk page, it's short, but interesting.

-Sarah

--
GLAMWIKI Partnership Ambassador for Wikimedia <http://www.glamwiki.org>
Wikipedian-in-Residence, Archives of American