[Gendergap] So this is how Commons works?

Sydney Poore sydney.poore at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 11:45:31 UTC 2011

No, not really. The assumption is toward the uploader having the appropriate
permission if it appears to be an amateur image and it has not obvious signs
of being a copyright violation. People have been in disagreement about
whether images that are "controversial content" should be be held to a
higher level of scrutiny. Some people say that we are be biased if we
require a higher level of scrutiny for images of naked people. I disagree,
but think that we really need to have a higher level of scrutiny for all
images with identifiable people.  By requiring model consent, we would solve
a large part of the problems with the images on Commons.

Sydney Poore