[Gendergap] Pregnancy article lead-image RFC

Sydney Poore sydney.poore at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 09:37:01 UTC 2011

On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 10:08 PM, Fred Bauder <fredbaud at fairpoint.net> wrote:

> > On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 19:27,  <carolmooredc at verizon.net> wrote:
> >> Lots of us old hippie women are exhibitionists and I could advertise
> >> and
> >> get a few of us to pose. Then the young guys would have to discuss
> >> whether the 19 year old or 60 year old breast/nude/buttock etc. is more
> >> appropriate for an article.
> >>
> >> Hope that also engenders a good laugh....
> >>
> >> Carol in dc
> >>
> > It's actually a serious point, though. It would be great to provide
> > images for those articles that don't portray women the way certain men
> > want to see them portrayed. I recall the Body Shop did that a couple
> > of decades ago -- started using images of women that fell outside the
> > usual range that tended to be objectified (older, not thin, etc). They
> > produced some very good ads as a result. The difficulty for us would
> > be in finding those images, then in maintaining them on the pages.
> >
> > Sarah
>
> The concept of "being objectified" needs to be explained to the community
> and incorporated into our style guides. This has to make sense rather
> than being misunderstood.
>
> Fred

Absolutely agree, Fred. I was very pleased with the response that I got from
my email about the High-heel shoes category. Talking about this topic will
ruffle some feather, but it is important and needs to happen.

The issues is complex and feminist have differing views about it. So, we
need to take care to discuss it in a way that fairly represents a broad
spectrum of view.

But in all cases, women should be given space to speak up when they feel
objectified or see it happening to other people. Right now with women in the
minority on WMF projects, imo, this is not happening enough.

Sydney