[Gendergap] Gendergap Digest, Vol 8, Issue 4 Re: Increasing Visibility of Diversity and Women on Wikipedia (Sarah Stierch)

Maggie rockerrepro at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 22:00:40 UTC 2011

Sarah,

Yes those conversations were a real trial for me--it was like knocking my
head against a brick wall. And while I had some friends and knew of a great
number of people who wanted to see these categories put in place, I was not
allowed to let them know where the conversation was going on due to
canvassing rules.

Some categories have not been made by me, because I feel that there would be
way too much chance of them being deleted. I have created them on the
skeleton of the women's categories that already exist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:American_women

The conversations bothered me for a variety of reasons--but these three
stick out: 1) Two people who were actively arguing against or nominating
were not North Americans. So they don't get the dynamic in the US and why
these topics need to exist in the US scheme. B) The high amount of
racism--whether unconscious or overt.
C) I wasn't even sure if there was one person of color involved in these
conversations.

Many of the men are quite intent on deleting these categories--if not out of
sexism, out of a robotic sense of following the rules no matter the case. I
also think they may patrol my account to make sure I don't create these
categories. At least a few were doing it when the whole episode started
anyway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Categories_for_discussion/Log/2011_July_15#Category:African_American_women_in_politics

In this nomination, the nominator actually says, basically, we live in a
"post-racial" world. So there is no need for the category. Many of the
comments were quite rage inducing at the time. Looking back on it, it looks
like a bunch of people talking nonsense (with racist undertones).

--Maggie