[Gendergap] Question for the Foundation about photographs of women

Pete Forsyth peteforsyth at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 05:22:16 UTC 2011

On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 9:22 PM, John Vandenberg <jayvdb at gmail.com> wrote:

>  I would like to throw this back in a positive direction.  The task of
> deleting poor quality photographs (and metadata/provenance/paperwork
> is part of quality) is made much easier if we have good quality
> photographs of the same topic.  Nobody cares about deletions of bad
> photographs when those photographs are no longer used.  They do care
> when it is the only photo of its kind, because it is a precious
> resource.

An excellent point, John.

I wonder if there are organizations that (1) are concerned about gender
issues on Wikipedia, and (2) have the ability to generate a substantial
collection of high quality images to illustrate this sort of thing to the
commons. If so, there might be a great partnership/project opportunity
there.

-Pete