[Gendergap] Photo of the Day on Wikimedia Commons

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Mon May 16 16:43:58 UTC 2011

Hi all,

On Monday 16 May 2011 05:03:26 Sarah Stierch wrote:
> Surely I'm not the only one who noticed this lovely gem of a photo of
> the day today. In my work environment - NFWS.
>
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
>
> Direct link to image:
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:On_the_edge_-_free_world_version.jpg
>
> I mean really? /facepalm
>
> This is the kind of imagery I have no desire to see on the front page of
> Commons. I'm a very liberal person, but, this makes me not want to even
> allow my MOTHER to use Commons.

I should note that I agree that such an image has no place as the photo of the
day on the Wikimedia Commons, due to its erotic/pornographic nature. It is a
very æsthetic work of art, and I found it appealing, but it has no place being
featured as the front page image.

And for the record, I am a heterosexual male, who opposes censoring
pornography, erotica, partial pornography, etc. of all kinds[Censorship], but
think there are contexts where they are inappropriate.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

[Censorship] - in fact, I would argue that such calls for censorship undermine
a person's right on their body, and sexual freedom for both genders.