[Gendergap] [Commons-l] Fwd: Photo of the Day on Wikimedia Commons

Ryan Kaldari rkaldari at wikimedia.org
Mon May 16 04:43:46 UTC 2011

So you're arguing that the woman is topless in order to conform to realistic
portrayals of indigenous people? That's the biggest pile of bullshit I've
heard in years.

Every few months one of the usual suspects nominates porn to be featured on
Commons and we have to go through the same circus-show all over again. It's
always porn for a male heterosexual audience, and it's always defended with
cries against the evils of censorship and disingenuous arguments about the
"educational value" of the image. I'm all for Commons hosting a wide array
of uncensored images, but I'm tired of seeing the Main Page being used as a
fap gallery for fanboys. Whether you agree with it or not, featuring such
images is distasteful to a lot of people - and not necessarily because they
are "prudish" or "religious". I don't see how exercising editorial judgement
about our public image and being respectful of women is "compromising our
core values". Driving people away from the site and eroding our reputation
as a serious educational resource do nothing to improve the project. If you
want to fight against censorship, help defend the "Rape", "Rape statistics",
and "False accusation of rape" articles against antimisandry.com. Or better
yet, file a DMCA counter-notice to restore the links in the "Texas
Instruments signing key controversy" article. For some reason people don't
seem as concerned about the real incidents of censorship on our projects.

Ryan Kaldari