[Gendergap] Gendergap Digest, Vol 4, Issue 16

Karen Sue Rolph karenrolph at hotmail.com
Mon May 23 05:40:09 UTC 2011

Dear Colleagues,

I'd like to introduce myself as new to editing and writing in Wikipedia.  I especially took note of a recent New York Times piece on the low percentage of female contributors to Wikipedia; I felt it personally as an Op-Ed Project alumna.

I'm a scholar, and gender is one of my specializations as an anthropologist.  I've studied gender in Japan, Europe, and Latin America, as well as North America.  I am committed to social justice and improved human rights (and U.N. Articles) conditions for all, but especially women, mothers, and children.

I can see from viewing Gendergap, and other communiques within the Wikipedia nexus, that sometimes humor is difficult to account for.  Humor seems so important, but seems to offend someone somewhere.  It seems we all share the problem of wanting to communicate, but without a sure way to measure the consequences of what is said.  I will be classed as an 'old' female, but given my Native American heritage, I want to remind friends that many cultures think of us as elders.  Gentlemen should too.

My scholarship is far ranging, I am a product of U.C. Berkeley and Stanford U., I want to be supportive of all I can in terms of gender balance.  For this reason, beginning in the fall, I will be teaching classes at nearby institutions, with an emphasis on female contributions.  My work has already begun, organizing a curriculum.  I will be watchful that young women survive and thrive in the environment.  Let us see how it goes.

I would like to weigh in on the ways to treat females project- that circulated a couple or few weeks back- if others will permit me.  There's an obvious reason women contribute less; we are busy with our babies and children.  I am working on getting 'duration-spent' numbers in on that, so we can go to a concrete understanding of the time dedicated to raising young souls.  (Not meant as a joke).

Meanwhile, my warm greetings to all on this list, regardless of gender.

Karen Sue Rolph