[Gendergap] Visible female faces for Wikim/pedia

Andreas Kolbe jayen466 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 28 15:33:16 UTC 2011

As someone pointed out in the discussion at

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Deletion_requests/File:Jumping_Wikipe-tan.svg#File:Jumping_Wikipe-tan.svg

(which is heading for a keep) Stephen's - in my view - quite sensible deletion of

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wikipe-tan_in_swimwear.jpg

has been undone.

Democratic decision-making has its potential drawbacks when the demographics
of those participating in the democratic process are skewed.

I have no evidence to suggest that a balanced demographic would have
resulted in different outcomes here, but I do wonder sometimes whether we need
quotas or some kind of affirmative action to correct community biases.

Again, while that sort of thing is widespread in Western democracies, I doubt
our community would be mature enough to embrace it.