[Gendergap] Visible female faces for Wikim/pedia

Adrianne Wadewitz wadewitz at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 19:11:24 UTC 2011

Perhaps one project for us to undertake is to make more Wikimedia
women visible. Perhaps there are invisible women working in the
background? I know, for example, that 5 of the 6 Campus Ambassadors
here at Indiana University for the Public Policy Initiative are women.
That means that when people "see the face of Wikipedia" for the first
time, they see a woman. This is not a gender-specific project, but it
does help break down the stereotypes about Wikipedia editors. Perhaps
we need to highlight these types of efforts? I know a lot of women on
Wikipedia who do outreach but I'm not sure how well-known they are in
the wider community. Do we need to do Signpost stories?

Adrianne

--
Adrianne Wadewitz
Teaching Fellow