[Gendergap] Visible female faces for Wikim/pedia

Nicole Willson artisticaltruist at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 17:55:15 UTC 2011

Agreed, especially because the woman in the comic does not start out as a
contributor.

I think it's great that such a brochure exists, but it's nice to see actual
human beings that you can contact and talk to in help documentation. In the
wikiHow tour there are pictures of the contributors:

http://www.wikihow.com/wikiHow:Tour/Community

wikiHow also has something called Meet a Community Member, that you can see
in the bottom right-hand column next to most articles that describes editors
and the things they like working on. Since half of the active admins are
female at this point, there have been many female faces.

I thought I'd just throw these things out there in case they inspired any
ideas.

-Nicole/elocina

2011/3/20 Juliana da Costa José <julianadacostajose at googlemail.com>

> Hi,
>
> I like this file, but this is a comic-woman. And the most women I know
> do not really identify with a drawn person, especially if you have
> this kind of Comic-Women too in Wikipedia:
>

> http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datei:Wikipe_tan_wearing_a_bikini_by_Kasuga39.png
>
> A comic-person really hate very much!
>
> J.
>

> 2011/3/20, Lennart Guldbrandsson <l_guldbrandsson at hotmail.com>:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I agree.
> >
> > We have at least one female rolemodel, though, and she's seen by
> thousands
> > of people thanks to the Ambassadors Programme:
> >

> http://outreach.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=File:Welcome2WP_English_082310.pdf&page=1
> >

> > Best wishes,
> >
> > Lennart
> >
> > Lennart Guldbrandsson,
> > Fellow of the Wikimedia Foundation / Wikimedia Foudation-stipendiat
> > Chair of Wikimedia Sverige / ordförande för Wikimedia Sverige
> > http://wikimedia.se
> > Tfn: 031 - 12 50 48
> > Mobil: 070 - 207 80 05
> > Epost: l_guldbrandsson at hotmail.com
> > Användarsida: http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anv%C3%A4ndare:Hannibal
> > Blogg: http://mrchapel.wordpress.com/
> >

> >> Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 13:00:15 +0100
> >> From: julianadacostajose at googlemail.com
> >> To: gendergap at lists.wikimedia.org
> >> Subject: [Gendergap] Visible female faces for Wikim/pedia
> >>
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> my problem in Wikipedia is, that we have not many rolemodels who are
> >> not very known outside of the Wikim/pedia world. The only one, who is
> >> constant in media is Sue.
> >> Sue is wonderful, but where are the other faces of Wikim/pedia? Where
> >> are the other women, why are they hiding?
> >>
> >> Ok, we had a Wikimedia-Clip made last year with some female faces. I
> >> like this clip very much, but there you see more male faces than
> >> female again and for animate women to envolve themselves, it is too
> >> special and for my taste too  "Wikim/pedia-exclusive".
> >>
> >> My oppinion is, if we want to win females, we need more visible female
> >> Wikim/pedians.
> >>
> >> Just my 2 cents.
> >>
> >> J.

"Only the shallow know themselves." - Oscar Wilde