[Gendergap] Panel on Women in Leadership

Fred Bauder fredbaud at fairpoint.net
Sun Mar 20 11:45:01 UTC 2011

BookTV March 12, 2011

Tucson Festival of Books
Authors discussed their books about women in leadership. First, Dr.
Connie Mariano talked about her book, The White House Doctor: My Patients
Were Presidents - A Memoir. Then Gloria Feldt talked about her book, No
Excuses: 9 Ways Women Can Change How We Think About Power. They then
responded to questions from members of the audience. "Women of National
Influence" was a panel at the Tucson Festival of Books in the Gallagher
Theater of the Student Union on the campus of the University of Arizona.

No Excuses: 9 Ways Women Can Change How We Think about Power by
Gloria Feldt

http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/PanelonWom

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Gloria_Feldt

http://gloriafeldt.com/

Some things I remember from the program:

At the current rate of change women will achieve parity in 70 years.

15% of the opeds published are by women, who submit 15% of the opeds
submitted.

power over is contrasted with power to; domination versus leadership.

My personal thought is that Wikipedia offers nearly total power to submit
editorial changes and policy suggestions, or offer to assume significant
responsibilities.

Fred