[Gendergap] PZ Myers takes on the gendergap (wrt atheism)

ChaoticFluffy chaoticfluffy at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 21:57:06 UTC 2011

I know PZ and his atheism might not be to everyone's taste, but apparently
atheist organizations are also struggling with a gender gap. He made a post
on his blog yesterday that really resonated with me. The full post is
here<http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2011/02/feminist_hypersensitivity_or_m.php>,
but what really resonates with me is this bit:

"You want women to find your organization pleasant and interesting and worth
contributing to? Then don't form panels full of men trying to figure out
what women want, talking over women who try to get a word in edgewise,
belittling women's suggestions with jokes, and trying to determine how We
Well-Meaning Men can give Those Women what we think they want."

Listen to the women instead of talking over them, guys. Seriously.

-fluff