[Gendergap] Hardcore images essay - HELP!

Andreas Kolbe jayen466 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 17 20:14:23 UTC 2011

These are not just pictures hidden under a mattress. They are much more like the babecalendar in the office, to use Joseph's apt example, and are a symbol of a prevalent mentality.
This is reflected in how editors are treated who complain. There is currently a discussion atthe Bukkake article about whether it is really necessary to have two almost identical imagesportraying men ejaculating on a woman. A female editor, who first expressed reluctance toeven post there, because she suffered abuse from male editors in French Wikipedia in asimilar situation, in the end did post, saying:
---o0o---
Bonjour, Goodmorning, the Illustration depicting the act of bukkake seems to meinappropriate for a site serious as Wikipedia. The woman seems to have hands attachésbehind? Has when then the images of rapes the back. Wikipedia go to tolerate imageswhich degrade the women ? This image must be removed, thanks, merci
---o0o---
A male editor responds:
---o0o---
Looking at that image, I can't see any reason that someone would assume that the imagedepicts that the woman has her hands tied. I see no rope or anything like that. So, if animage makes one reader think that she could have her hands tied, and hands being tied isnot a necesary component to Bukkake, then we should not have an image that makes themthink that might be the case? That seems a stretch to me. She seems to merely have herhands behind her back. Perhaps she is supporting her weight? Perhaps she is relaxing?
---o0o---
This is *excruciating*. He claims the right to invalidate her feelings, her views.
The same editor has now three times reverted the second bukkake image into the article,edit-warring against two editors, despite the fact that four people on the talk page express apreference for having just one (or none) of these images, vs. one in favour of having bothimages; while he himself claims he is undecided as to whether the second image addsvalue and is doing his reverts purely in the interest of "article stability".
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Talk:Bukkake&diff=prev&oldid=414458564
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Bukkake&action=historysubmit&diff=414358243&oldid=414306312
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Bukkake&action=historysubmit&diff=414364963&oldid=414363112
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Bukkake&action=historysubmit&diff=414457841&oldid=414430776(He claims the discussion has been running for four hours. It has run for a day and a half.)
This is atrocious. Are you surprised if women don't bother turning up for these discussions?
Andreas