[Gendergap] Hardcore images essay - HELP!

elisabeth bauer eflebeth at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 17 13:13:28 UTC 2011

2011/2/17 Andreas Kolbe <jayen466 at yahoo.com>
> --- On Wed, 16/2/11, ChaoticFluffy <chaoticfluffy at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Joseph and Andreas, I think you're assuming facts not in evidence here, so to
> > speak. If you disapprove of porn or the pornmaking process, that's got nothing
> > to do with wikipedia.

I'd like to second ChaoticFluffy. Andreas seems to me on a crusade
against pornography in Wikipedia.
I won't suggest that it hasn't anything to do with the gendergap.
Maybe Wikipedia would gain a few more female editors by deleting all
these pictures. I am sure Wikipedia would also attract much more
Muslim editors if the pictures of the prophet Muhammad were deleted.
Same goes for Baha'i and other religious groups.

We don't give in for a reason. And that's the same reason as why
Wikipedia shows pornographic pictures.
I fail to see why an encyclopedia article about a tractor should show
a picture about its subject, but an article about a sexual practice
should not show any pictures.
"Mama, why are there no pictures in the articles about sex  in
Wikipedia?" "Oh, some men decided that such content would displease
and disturb the tender souls of women and children, so they deleted
it." Thank you very much. This is so 19th century.

greetings,
elian
PS: and just a suggestion: "Come on guys" in an edit summary is not a
very inviting comment for women to participate in a debate.