[Gendergap] Press inquiry

Steven Walling swalling at wikimedia.org
Mon Feb 14 23:53:09 UTC 2011

Hey everyone,

So a writer from the (widely read and pretty influential) tech blog ReadWriteWeb would like to whip up something that follows up on the New York Times piece. Her name in Audrey Watters, and on Jay and Moka's recommendation I'm bringing it to the list because she's interested in talking to someone who is involved in a project to recruit new female editors.

It's awesome that she's interested in what's being planned in the way of constructive change, and she's already seen efforts like the Women's History WikiProject on English Wikipedia. If you're interested in talking to her in any capacity, let me know and I'll forward you along to her. (She'd be most happy to talk to someone who is comfortable being quoted directly, but if you not just be up front about it and she'll respect your preference.)

I'd like to especially prod editors like Phoebe, SlimVirgin, and Pharos who are helping plan things now and have lots of experience with past efforts around the gender gap. :-)

Steven Walling
Fellow at the Wikimedia Foundation
wikimediafoundation.org