[Gendergap] Fwd: Gender preference

Nepenthe topazbutterfly at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 23:51:00 UTC 2011

I think the likelihood is fairly high that more active women are more likely
not to identify their gender.  For what it's worth, I didn't hide my gender
as diligently for the first year or so that I actively edited and I think I
may have asked someone to use female pronouns at one point. It's only after
high profile cases of women being harassed on the internet (Kathy Sierra)
and after noticing that my neutral user name seemed to garner more respect
than posts I make in other parts of the net, where I use a female pseudonym,
that I decided to actively suppress my gender. If I weren't a particularly
active editor, it wouldn't be a big deal for me. I'm so invested in
Wikipedia that gender based harassment or even the decreased perception of
my capability would be disruptive to me if I chose to identify myself
on-wiki.

Nepenthe